Alexa is an easy and increasingly popular voice controlled way to search for information, organize and set up various things around the home handsfree. Unfortunately there is no Alexa app for Mac but here we show you a way to get Alexa on a Mac.
Is There An Alexa App For Mac?
Unfortunately Amazon has not released an Alexa desktop app for Mac computers. The Alexa app is only available for Windows PCs.
The only way for Mac users to install the Alexa Windows app is to install Windows on a Mac using Parallels but unless you really need Windows on your Mac for other application too, it’s probably not worth it.
The best way to use Alexa on a Mac is to use it directly in a browser instead. Although doing it this way means you can’t talk to Alexa, you can still control your smart-home devices including Echo and Echo Dot.
Using Alexa on a Mac this way means you can also set up music and media, alarms and adjust device settings in much the same way as you can on a phone or Amazon Echo device.
You May Also Like:
With this in mind, here then is how to use Alexa on a Mac:
- Go to alexa.amazon.com
- Sign into your Amazon account using your email and password. If you don’t have one, just create a new Amazon account.
If your Echo device hasn’t already been setup to work with a browser, you’ll need to set it up. To link your Amazon Echo to your Amazon account, follow these instructions:
- Plug in your Echo device and wait for the ring light to turn orange.
- Hold down the Action button on the Amazon Echo for at least 5 seconds.
- Go back to Alexa in your browser and click on Settings.
- Select Set Up New device.
- Select the type of Echo you have
- Alexa can show you even more - With a 10.1" HD screen that’s designed to move with you, video calls, recipes, and shows are always in view. The speakers deliver premium, directional sound.
- Stay in frame - Video call friends and family or take a picture while the 13MP camera with auto-framing and motion keeps you front and center.
- Smart home made simple - Set up compatible Zigbee devices or smart products without a separate hub. Ask Alexa to show you security cameras, control lights, and adjust thermostats.
- Take a look around when you’re away - Securely access the built-in camera to remotely monitor your home anytime with the Alexa app or other Echo Show devices.
- So much entertainment - Ask Alexa to play your favorite shows, music, and podcasts from Prime Video, Netflix, Amazon Music, Spotify, and more.