The HP Laserjet Printer is one of the best printers we’ve used but the driver problems on Mac affect various models of Laserjet including the HP1102w, P1007, M751dn, M11, M12, M12W and M13 series.
Many HP Laserjet Printer users that have either bought a new M1 Mac or updated to the latest version of macOS 12.0.1 Monterey have suddenly found it has stopped working or won’t connect to their Mac.
Although many printers will work without drivers on a Mac using AirPrint and Bonjour, some HP Laserjet printers will not meaning you must have the drivers in order to use it with a Mac.
You May Also Like:
The problem is when you go to the HP Laserjet website, it appears that the drivers for macOS 12 Monterey are available:
However, when you try to install the driver in macOS 12.0.1 Monterey, it does not work with the error message, “This update requires macOS version 12.0 or earlier”.
It seems the issue is that HP simply hasn’t updated the drivers to be compatible with Monterey 12.0.1 and M1 Macs even though it appears on the website that compatible drivers are available.
Fortunately, the solution is quite simple. Here’s how to make your HP Laserjet printer work with macOS Monterey and M1 Macs.
- If you’re using an HP Laserjet M11, M12, M12W or M13 printer with macOS Monterey or an M1 Mac you need to download and install this older driver from the HP FTP site.
- If you’re using any other model of HP Laserjet inlcuding the P1102W you need to download and install this older version of HP Essentials from the HP FTP site to work with macOS Monterey and M1 Macs.
- Install the drivers and when the installation has succeeded, go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners and right-click on the box on the left to select Reset Printing Preferences.
- You can then add your HP Laserjet printer as normal by clicking on the “+” symbol and you should see that your Mac has detected the printer.
You can now print on an M1 Mac or macOS Monterey with your HP Laserjet Printer.
If you have problems downloading either of the two links above, then you can force your HP printer drivers to install in Monterey using a free tool called Pacifist.
Pacifist allows you more control over installer files and allows you to install HP drivers on Monterey and M1 Macs.
He’s how to install HP printer drivers on Monterey and M1 Macs using Pacifist.
- Install Pacifist on your Mac
- Download the HP Printer Software Update from Apple.
- Mount the file by double clicking on the DMG file you’ve downloaded.
- In Pacifist, select “Open Package” and navigate in Finder to “HP_PrinterSupportManual” to open the file “HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg”
- Select “HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers Contents” and at the top of the windows choose Install.
You should now be able to add the HP printer on Monterey and M1 Macs normally.