VRChat for Mac isn’t available but there is now an easy way to use it on macOS thanks to NVIDIA’s new GeForce Now for Mac service.
VRChat allows you to create, publish and explore virtual worlds with other users but it’s only available on Windows. Previously the only way to use VRChat on Mac was to install Windows on your Mac and then download the PC Steam client on it.
However, this is a time-consuming solution and thanks to GeForce Now, you can now run it much more easily natively on your Mac.
Here’s how to run VRChat on Mac in a few easy steps.
- Sign-up for GeForce Now for Mac. Select your region and then search in the top right corner of the screen for “GeForce Now”:
- Select the first result that comes up to go the GeForce Now page:
- Click on Request Beta Access to sign-up. At the moment, it’s currently in Beta and invitations are limited but you will be notified if a spot is available in your region.
- When you receive the beta invite, launch GeForce Now and then log into your Steam account.
- In the Steam store, search for VRChat.
- Download the VRChat app onto your Mac.
You can then use VRChat and access rooms just as if you were using a Windows PC.
At the moment, GeForce Now For Mac is in beta and free to use. However, it is being rolled on out on a regional basis and you may have to join a waiting list for it depending on where you live. When it is fully launched worldwide later this year NVIDIA will charge for the service although it’s unclear yet whether it will be on a subscription basis or pay-as-you-go.
If you’ve got an HTC Vive VR Headset, you can use it on VR Chat now that High Sierra supports VR technology. However, you’ll need both an eGPU for Mac and a VR Headset.
The HTC Vive is currently by far the best VR headset for Mac for using on Steam as it was developed by both Valve and HTC to be optimized on the Steam platform. Note that the Oculus Rift doesn’t work on Mac yet.
If you have any problems installing VRChat on your Mac this way, let us know in the comments below.