If you’ve decided to try your luck in the crazy world of crypto trading on a Mac, we’ve looked at the best bitcoin and other cryptocurrency wallets for Mac of 2021.
The market for crypto and bitcoin wallets for Mac in 2021 is still very much evolving and can be quite confusing for newcomers so we’re here to help set the record straight.
Firstly, whichever bitcoin storage device you choose, it’s important to be aware that crypto trading is very different from stock trading.
Cryptos are highly volatile and we strongly recommend using the free version of TradingView to analyze cryptocurrency movements and maximize your profits.
TradingView has some of the best crypto currency market analysis tools we’ve used and in the chaotic world of cryptos, it’s an essential crypto trading tool to have on your Mac.
If you want a crypto trading platform plus wallet in one, we also recommend the excellent eToro crypto trading platform which is FINALLY available in the USA.
eToro now includes its own secure crypto wallet built into the platform so you don’t need to use a separate wallet to store your funds.
For Mac users, this is a big advantage over the popular Coinbase crypto platform which still doesn’t have a Coinbase wallet for Mac.
- Bitcoin Wallets For Mac Overview: Hot vs Cold
- Alt Currency Wallets For Mac
- 1. Trezor (Best For Multiple Cryptos)
- 2. Nano Ledger S (Best Hardware Wallet)
- 3. KeepKey (Best Alt Coin Wallet)
- 4. Exodus (Best Bitcoin Wallet For Apple)
- 5. Jaxx (Best Cross Platform Wallet)
- 6. Electrum (Best For Experienced Users)
- 7. BitPay (Best For Apple Pay)
- 8. Armory (Best Enterprise Wallet)
Bitcoin Wallets For Mac Overview: Hot vs Cold
The world of cryptocurrency wallets can be complex for newcomers and there’s a few things to be aware of first to avoid disappointment or confusion.
Crypto wallets are the securest way to store currency such as Bitcoin and Ethereum in the event of a cryptocurrency exchange hack.
They’re also safer than mobile cryptocurrency wallets because your Mac is harder to hack, steal or lose than a bitcoin wallet on your Apple iPad or iPhone.
However, many of the crypto wallets reviewed here also work on iOS so we think they’re the best bitcoin wallets for Apple devices of all types.
Note that there is no version of Trust Wallet for Mac. The popular Apple compatible bitcoin wallet Trust Wallet is only available for iPad and iPhone.
Crypto currency wallets are divided into “hot” and “cold” wallets.
In these bitcoin and crypto wallet reviews, we’ve looked at the best ultra secure offline cold wallets to the best hot multiple crypto currency desktop wallets including for bitcoin.
Hot wallets are those that need to be connected to the internet in order to work which are the majority of wallets out there.
These can be wallets that you either download to your desktop or mobile or can also be cloud based (which are less secure).
Cold wallets usually refer to to physical hardware wallets such as the Trezor crypto wallet (see review below) and are considered the most secure wallets to use.
If you’re storing large amounts of Bitcoin or cryptos we recommended that you use a cold wallet which are much harder to hack and add greater levels of security.
You can see a summary of our top 3 bitcoin wallets below.
Alt Currency Wallets For Mac
Not all cryptocurrencies are supported by crypto wallets.
Most of the wallets reviewed support popular currencies like Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Ethereum Classic, Litecoin, Dash etc.
However, there are many currencies (often known as “alt currencies”) which only work with their own custom wallet.
In the case of Neo, there are several wallets designed for it, the best being Neon.
For Cardano, you can only use the Daedalus Wallet which is made by the creators of the Cardano ADA cryptocurrency.
Make sure you backup your wallet once you’ve transferred funds into it.
All wallets make it very easy to backup which is essential in case you lose access to your Mac.
When you’ve backed up, you’ll be given a secret key which you can use to regain access to your funds if you ever get locked out.
Cold wallets also give you a secret key which you can use to recover your funds if you lose your wallet. This is often a sequence of words such as the example below which you can use to regain access to your money.
Treat this code (or “seed”) as the keys to your wealth – if you lose it you may never be able to regain access to your funds again.
We strongly recommend that you print out multiple paper copies of the secret key and store them in the securest method possible.
As with the cryptocurrency industry, the market for crypto currency wallets is still quite immature at this time and there will probably be many new wallets that emerge and current wallets that disappear over the next few years.
It is still a rapidly evolving industry and you may end up having to change wallets further down the line.
You May Also Like:
With this in mind, here are the best cryptocurrency and bitcoin wallets for Mac in order of ranking.
- CUTTING EDGE TREZOR MODEL T is a hardware device that securely stores your private keys to your digital assets, from cryptocurrencies to passwords. You will enjoy total security and easy access to your digital identity when you need it. This is a must for anyone who uses crypto in daily life and wants to protect their digital identity against threats. Works with USB-C and microSD card.
- TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY Designed for your confidence and ease-of-mind the Model T features a touchscreen, giving you an intuitive and convenient interface to interact directly with the device to verify and approve all operations.
- INCLUDES EVERYTHING you need: a USB cable, User Manual, and Recovery Seed Cards. Model T comes in a popular black color. Made of highly durable materials with no toxins or harmful chemicals. Safe to use for 24/7 protection.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE ensures this will quickly become your favorite no-risk purchase. Please return unused. This makes a fine birthday gift, holiday present, or anniversary gift for anyone who values exceptional security for confident, no stress crypto transactions.
Trezor is a hardware wallet which is the securest form of crypto storage you can get.
If you’re making serious money in crypto currency dealing, it’s a very small price to pay for ultra secure protection. Trezor adds multiple layers of protection to your digital currency.
It connects you your Mac through micro USB and will only connect when you enter a PIN.
Most major currencies are supported on Trezor If you lose your Trezor, don’t worry.
As long as you have your secret “seed” written down somewhere, you can recover your funds.
Using a hard crypto wallet such as Trezor is a bit more complicated than a soft wallet so to get a better idea of how it works, check out the video below.
- Buy, exchange, sell and grow your crypto assets, easily and securely. One place for all your crypto needs.
- Reclaim power over your money: Combine the Ledger Nano S with the Ledger Live app for maximum security and control over your crypto. The Ledger Nano S keeps your coins offline and protected.
- All your crypto in one place: Install up to 3 applications on your device, depending on their size. Ledger Nano S supports Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP, Bitcoin Cash, EOS, Stellar and many more. You can safely install and uninstall applications on your device to optimize your capacity needs.
- Simple and powerful to use: Download Ledger Live, then install crypto apps and create your account. Every transaction is confirmed on your hardware wallet, keeping your crypto secure.
- Ledger Nano S wallet is independently certified. Ledger Live’s backed up by the most trusted hardware wallet available. So you’re in full control.
The Nano Ledger S is a super secure, slick cold bitcoin wallet which can also store many other alt coins. It uses a secure OLED display to secure transactions with a tap on its side buttons.
One thing that makes the Nano Ledger S different is that it can run companion apps such as U2F, GPG, SSH and even apps that you’ve created yourself.
The Ledger Nano S also supports the FIDO Universal Second Factor authentication standard used by Google, Dropbox, Dashlane etc.
The Nano Ledger S is also one of the only cold wallets that currently supports the Neo cryptocurrency and PIVX.
A while back there was a high profile case of the Ledger Nano S being hacked although a patch was issued immediately and there have been no issues since.
A few weeks previous to that incident Ledger confirmed there was a flaw in the device that could allow malware to trick users into sending cryptocurrency to hackers although this has also been fixed.
It goes to show that even with cold crypto wallets, nothing is ever 100% secure from attack but they are far more secure than hot wallets.
- Bank-Grade Security that is Simple: KeepKey is the most secure bitcoin wallet available. It makes best-practice bitcoin security easy so that even your grandmother can protect her bitcoin wealth.
- Backup and Recovery: During initialization, you are given the one-time opportunity to write down a backup of your KeepKey in the form of a twelve-word recovery sentence. If your KeepKey is lost or stolen, you can safely recover your device and its bitcoins without compromising the security of your private keys.
- Virus and Malware Proof: Because KeepKey does not have an operating system, the layers that viruses, malware, and key loggers infect do not exist on the device. Using KeepKey gives you confidence that hackers can't get to your bitcoins.
- Multi-Currency Support: KeepKey not only supports Bitcoin, but also Ethereum, Litecoin, Namecoin, Dogecoin, Dash, and Testnet.
- Works on PC, Mac, Linux, and Android: KeepKey is a USB HID-class device. That means, like a typical mouse or keyboard, drivers are not required. Plug in the provided premium USB cable, and your device just works: immediately giving you the highest level of bitcoin security.
KeepKey is flashy looking cold wallet that supports one of the biggest number of alt coins you’ll find in any cold wallet.
KeepKey supports bitcoin, litecoin, dogecoin, ethereum, and dash which at the time of writing, is a lot for a cold wallet.
What’s really cool is the built in ShapeShift integration which allows you to trade coins within the wallet itself, a bit like with Exodus and Jaax.
If you want something good-looking with convenient coin exchange support, KeepKey is a slick and easy to use cold alt coin wallet.
Exodus looks like it was a crypto wallet designed specifically for macOS although it’s available on both Mac, PC and iOS.
We think it’s the best bitcoin wallet for Apple devices because it works seamlessly across macOS, iPhone and iPad with the slickest interface of any hot crypto wallet out there.
Exodus is incredibly slick but what we really like is that Exodus is integrated with ShapeShift.
This means that there’s no need to go to an exchange to buy other coins, you can simply exchange say Bitcoin for Ethereum within Exodus.
Exodus only takes a very small exchange fee which means its cheap and easy to build a portfolio of coins without leaving the app.
Exodus is simple and extremely easy to navigate. It gives you a nice overview of your crypto portfolio in a simple pie chart format. Exodus automatically connects to crypto P2P networks so that your currency values update in real-time.
What’s really handy is if you click on the Exchange tab, you can change any currency instantly.
Exodus will send the exchange to ShapeShift and when complete, you’ll hear a reassuring cash-til sound effect which notifies you that your money has been returned in the new currency.
Don’t worry if there’s a delay as it can take some minutes to exchange the currency depending on the crypto currency you want to exchange.
If you don’t see the currency exchange visible in Exodus, just click on Wallet and then click on the currency’s symbol at the top of the screen and the figures should update.
The one thing to be aware of with Exodus is that it’s not open source. Potentially, this means the developers could insert malicious code into it although this is probably unlikely.
If you’re just storing relatively small amounts of crypto, you really don’t have anything to worry about but if it’s larger amounts, you may want to consider a cold wallet like the Trezor.
Bottom line – if you’re looking for something user-friendly that looks great on Mac, Exodus is an elegant and easy to use crypto currency wallet for macOS.
Jaxx is another multi platform crypto wallet supporting a wide range of crypto currencies in a simple, easy to use interface.
Jaxx works on macOS, iOS, Windows, Android, Linux and there’s even a Google Chrome plugin.
Jaxx doesn’t feel quite as polished as Exodus but it also allows you to conveniently swap coins into other currencies by clicking on the blue fox icon.
Jaxx is a Canadian based project and was founded by Anthony Di Iorio, co-founder of the Ethereum crypto currency.
Jaxx works with all major cryptocurrencies and uses a highly secure 12 word “Masterseed” to help manage the private keys to your assets.
If you’re looking for something truly cross-platform and particularly if you like using Chrome extensions, Jaxx is a secure and easy way to store crypto currency.
Electrum doesn’t win any prizes for looks but it’s arguably one of the securest hot bitcoin wallets out there.
Electrum is perfect to use alongside Trezor as an ultra secure crypto or Bitcoin storage solution for Mac.
Electrum is completely open source which means it’s much harder for back door exploits to appear since it is peer tested by other users and programmers.
Electrum is definitely one for those that are paranoid when it comes to Bitcoin and other crypto transactions as verifies that transactions are in the Bitcoin chain.
Note that Electrum does not work on Apple iPhones or iPads.
If you’re experienced with crypto currencies and aren’t intimidated by basic GUIs, then Electrum is worth looking closer at.
BitPay (formerly know as Copay) is an open source multisig wallet which also supports Apple Pay in Bitcoin.
Multisig means that it adds extra layers of security (i.e. multiple signatures) to your blockchain purchases similar to how cold wallets work.
BitPay is one of the few wallets to support the full Bitcoin Payment Protocol (BIP 0070-0073) which means that if the merchant you are sending to supports the protocol, you can be 100% sure it’s going to the right place.
BitPay also secures your wallet with multiple signatures and allows several users to use the wallet at the same time making it a good option for friends or family.
Before money can be sent, each member must approve the transaction.
BitPay is also unique because it allows Apple Pay to make payments in Bitcoin and other cryptos with support for Google Pay and Samsung Pay coming soon.
There’s a BitPay Mac desktop app which looks sleek and elegant on macOS but there’s no BitPay app for iPhone or iPad.
As the name suggests, Armory’s focus is on added security although it requires a bit of Bitcoin know how to use these features correctly.
Armory isn’t actually a “hot” wallet – it can create a wallet that never actually touches the internet but is still able to manage the wallet online with what it claims is a “minimal risk of an attacker stealing your funds”.
Armory is one of the few wallets that not only supports Mac and PC but also RasberriPi. There’s no Armory for iOS app on iPhone or iPad though.
Armory is very experienced at enterprise solutions for storing very large amounts of Bitcoin and if you’re looking for something extremely safe, secure and yet not too geeky, Armory is worth checking out.
These are currently the best bitcoin wallets for Mac and for other crypto currencies too.
We’ve covered here a selection of the best hot and cold bitcoin wallets for Mac and for other crypto currencies.
For those starting out, we recommend using the best bitcoin wallet for all Apple devices Exodus.
If you’re going to be investing large amounts of cash, you should get yourself familiarized with a cold wallet like the ultra secure Trezor sooner rather than later.
The important thing is to use at least one of them rather than leave your profits on a crypto exchange.
If you have any questions or suggestions regarding the crypto wallets featured here, let us know in the comments below.