While we can’t promise to turn you into the Wolf Of Wall Street, we can show you the best stock trading software for Mac of 2020 to set you on your way.
After hours of analysis and research we rated the best stock trading software for Mac is TradingView (Free).
TradingView has been the best stock charting tool out there for a long time but it now allows you to trade too by connecting it to brokers such as Oanda, Tradestation and FXCM.
Trading Software vs Trading Platforms
The line between trading software and trading platforms is becoming increasingly blurred as many trading tools like TradingView now allow you to trade as well by connecting them to brokers.
The same goes for TC2000 for Mac which started out as a stock trading software but now allows you to open a TC2000 brokerage account to trade in real time.
Similarly, many stock trading platforms now feature their own advanced technical analysis tools so that you don’t need any extra trading apps.
However, as a general rule, Stock trading software (sometimes referred to as stock charting software, stock screeners or stock scanners) refers to tools which are principally used to perform technical analysis of stocks and market trends using trendlines, shapes, moving averages, momentum oscillators etc.
Stock trading platforms on the other hand are licensed brokers. They principally allow you to buy and sell stocks from your Mac but their technical analysis features are often not as good as stock charting software.
Trading platforms do however usually include their own charting tools for identifying things like technical indicators and fundamental analysis numbers plus they usually include integration with news feeds, offer automated or copy trading etc.
Note that due to strict US trading laws, some stock trading platforms such as the excellent IQ Option are not available in the USA but can be used in other countries worldwide including the UK.
Stock trading software and apps on the other hand can be used worldwide in any country including the USA and Canada.
You May Also Like:
- The Best Stock Trading Platforms For Mac
- The Best Investment Software For Mac
- The Best Personal Finance Software For Mac
- 6 Reasons Macs Are Good For Trading
With this in mind, here are what we found to be the best stock charting software for Mac users in order of ranking.
TradingView is an amazingly powerful yet easy to use community driven stock charting software that combines user knowledge with sophisticated analysis to make you a better trader.
The remarkable thing about TradingView is that most of the features are free to use including for those users in the USA.
You only have to upgrade to the paid plans if you want to remove some time frame limitations and get faster, real-time information although this is essential if you’re going to trade seriously.
- Special Black Friday Offer: Get 60% Off All TradingView Plans until 27th November 2020.
Even better, TradingView now allows you to trade on the stock market in real time by connecting it to selected stock trading platforms such as Oanda, TradeStation, Gemini and FXCM.
Usually trading software falls into two categories – those for experienced traders and those for novices.
What we like so much about TradingView is that it’s powerful enough to satisfy any seasoned trader and yet it’s also easy enough for those new to trading to get into.
TradingView is highly respected and utilized across the stock trading industry illustrated by the fact that leading sites like Investopedia have integrated it into their services.
TradingView has rapidly risen from just a few thousand users in 2012 to almost seven million users today and is a very visual based stock tracking platform which is all about charts, charts and more charts.
It covers almost every asset class including stocks, forex, currencies, cryptos, futures and CFDs.
Here are some of the outstanding factors that make TradingView our top pick:
- The range of charts and analysis it provides is exceptional. By default the charts load a candlestick price and volume chart but there are many others including Spread, Renko, Kagi, Line Break and PNF charts. They not only look good but they include professional drawing tools such as Gann squares and fanns, Fibonacci retracements and circles, Elliott Waves and other technical indicators to help analyze price actions. You can embed any of these charts in a website and it will update in real-time or share them to Twitter, Facebook etc. TradingView even has its own Pine Script programming language which you can use to create your own signals and custom technical analysis.
- It’s a highly effective mix of both social networking and stock trading. There are a seemingly endless numbers of charts in TradingView, many of which are generated by users and genuinely help you trade better. From simple basic price charts to plotting complex spread symbols with overlayed strategy backtesting, you can do it all in TradingView. This makes it extremely accessible for beginners to stock charting on Mac but also provides in-depth analysis that professional traders will value.
- Stock trading can be a lonely business and TradingView makes you feel less alone when taking big trading decisions. It’s all about harnessing the knowledge of its users, connecting traders and exchanging ideas on trades and market movements. Every user has their own TradingView profile where you can publish ideas, thoughts, tips and interact with other traders.
- The information shared in TradingView is genuine because it comes from grassroots users. Often with trading sites or publications the content is paid for and therefore biased in favor of companies promoting their stocks or PR blurbs. The tips shared across TradingView are based on the analysis and experience of real traders.
- You can setup automatic movement alerts so that you will be notified when a stock falls or rises beyond a certain level or goes beyond things like Bollinger Bands channel. This includes email and SMS alerts.
- Because it works in any browser, it also works on any platform including Mac desktop and PC. There’s also a native iOS app for iPhone and iPad which is pretty good too.
- You can make trades in real time without ever leaving TradingView by connecting it to a stock broker platform. TradingView works with Oanda, TradeStation, Gemini and FXCM brokers to make trades. This also works for users in the USA unlike many of the tools featured here.
- Possibly the most impressive thing is that most of TradingView is free to use. In fact you can start using it immediately in your browser. The free version of TradingView is ad-supported although they’re not intrusive and the platform is extremely quick as it’s based on the highly responsive HTML5 language. You can easily get everything you want in the free version of TradingView although if you’re going to trade seriously, the paid plans are well worth it.
- The Pro, Pro+ and Premium plans start at $14.95 per month and the main advantage is that they provide faster real-time information, more intraday reports and no limits on time frames. Any trader will tell you that information is power when it comes to trading and the faster you have it, the better your chances at making money. The paid plans also remove all ads, allow you to have multiple charts open per tab and add feeds for NASDAQ, NYSE and NYMEX.
All paid plans allow you to try a fully functional 30 day free trial and we like the fact that unlike many stock trading apps, no credit card is needed to use the trial.
You also get 16% off TradingView paid plans if you pay annually rather than monthly.
- Special Black Friday Offer: Get 60% Off All TradingView Plans until 27th November 2020.
If you want to maximize your profits and become a better trader on your Mac, TradingView is powerful yet accessible for all abilities.
You can get started using TradingView for free now to judge for yourself.
You can also check out our full TradingView review for more.
TC2000 has been around for over 25 years and is a powerful stock charting, option screening and trading tool.
TC2000 now works on Mac thanks to the free Parallels Client tool which connects to a TC2000 remotely so that you can use it as a Mac desktop application. This also works for iPad, iPhone and other mobile devices.
Alternatively, you can also use TC2000 in any web browser on a Mac.
TC2000 is well thought out with a comprehensive dashboard that gives you charts, all US stocks & options, indicators, streaming data, option chains, trading windows, notepad and favorites watchlist.
Although you can’t connect TC2000 to external brokers, you can open a brokerage account with TC2000.
TC2000 is one of the few trading platforms that still charges commissions on trades but it also has some of the lowest margin rates out there.
There is also a monthly fee for use of the desktop trading tool. TC2000 is available in Silver, Gold or Platinum versions starting at $9.99 per month for the Silver version.
If you’re looking for a truly professional stock trading software and platform on your Mac desktop, TC2000 is about as established and powerful as it gets although it doesn’t come cheap.
You can try TC2000 on Mac for free with no need for a credit card.
TrendSpider is all about automating market analysis and from market scanners to heat-maps and alerts, it does it very well indeed.
TrendSpider has a range of powerful tools that are constantly analyzing multiple market conditions at one time and then alert you when the time is right to buy or sell.
Some of the features that make TrendSpider so useful are automated trendline detection, automated heatmaps, market scanner, strategy tester and customizable alerts.
In particular the multi time frame analysis and dynamic price alerts help spot profitable trades far more easily than manually analyzing the market yourself.
The dynamic price alerts are also superb at detecting Bounces and Breakthroughs.
The multi time frame analyzer allows you to visualize more than one time frame in the same chart which is extremely useful when assessing historical data and performance of stocks and currencies.
Although we think that TradingView is better for charting, TrendSpider is the best automated technical scanner for stocks and forex we’ve seen.
TrendSpider starts at $33 per month and you can also try TrendSpider for free to see what you think for yourself.
You can also read our full TrendSpider review for more.
Trade Ideas is an online stock scanner that makes the difficult task of picking profitable trades easier.
If you’re looking for something powerful for intraday stock scanning, Trade Ideas has many different powerful built-in preset scans to help identify profitable trades.
Trade Ideas is aimed particularly at intraday traders, momentum traders, swing traders and scalpers. It excels at finding fast moving stocks and then taking trades on the first or second pullbacks.
The basic version of Trade Ideas is free although to unlock its best features, you’ll need to upgrade to one of the full versions.
Trade Ideas is quite complex to get to grips with for beginners and you need to invest some serious time learning the basics to get the best out of it.
The main features of Trade Ideas that stand out are:
- Artificial Intelligence which can test up to a million different trading scenarios at once
- Brokerage Plus which allows you to create scans and then trade in real time with an Interactive Brokers account
- Odds Maker Window which uses event based backtesting to score how well scans, entry signals and trading plans perform
- Alert Windows which support multiple time frames and tell you when certain parameters have been met
- Chart Windows allows you to visually confirm an alert without leaving the Trade Ideas Pro platform
- Full Quote Windows gives you an instant overview of a stock’s fundamentals with performance over time
- Top List Windows which dynamically ranks market data every 30 seconds
- Channel Bar which are per-configured layouts such as Premarket, After Hours, Social, Crypto, Volume and more
- Compare Count Windows which compare any two strategies with real time updates
It’s important to be aware however that Trade Ideas doesn’t specialize in charting such as tools like TradingView does.
This means there aren’t many indicators but the automated scanning features are still surprisingly powerful and insightful.
You can sign-up and try Trade Ideas free to judge for yourself.
You can also checkout our full Trade Ideas review.
- Special Black Friday Offer: Get 30% Off MotiveWave Until November 30th.
MotiveWave is a professional multi-asset trading software for Mac that not does powerful technical analysis but is integrated with multiple brokers and financial data delivery services.
If you’re looking for a Mac desktop app that allows you to both analyze and trade at the same time, MotiveWave is the perfect solution.
You can even trade from MotiveWave on your Mac as its integrated with selected major brokers such as Oanda, TD Ameritrade and Forex.com.
If your broker isn’t supported, it may also be possible to connect it via a Gateway Connector such as Rithmic or CQG which MotiveWave will advise you on.
What we really like about MotiveWave is that you can download a native Mac app that’s highly customizable and allows you to both analyze stocks and trade from your Mac desktop. The app is optimized for High Resolution 4K displays and looks really good on macOS.
MotiveWave is extremely powerful and can analyze massive amounts of market data to reveal trends, issues and other things that you might ordinarily miss.
For example, MotiveWave automatically looks for complex patterns such as Elliott Wave Patterns and Gartley Harmonic Shapes in order to identify trading opportunities.
Other advanced features include Replay Mode, Advanced Alerts based on multiple market signals, Component Alerts and Multiple Monitor Support. MotiveWave is backed by some pretty powerful algorithms that you can even modify to customize according to your own needs.
Note that MotiveWave is firmly aimed at professionals and those with considerable experience in stock trading so it’s less accessible than TradingView for beginners.
If you know what you’re doing when it comes to stock trading and are looking for a professional trading tool on your Mac, then MotiveWave is definitely a contender worth checking.
MotiveWave pricing starts at $99 for the basic Charts plan with 5 other plans available depending on your needs.
- Special Black Friday Offer: Get 30% Off MotiveWave Until November 30th.
You can also sign-up for a free trial of MotiveWave to see what you think for yourself.
You can check out our full MotiveWave review for more.
ProTA is one of the most established technical analysis software packages for Mac and has been around for over 20 years.
ProTA is designed specifically for Mac and it shows because it’s certainly has one of the best looking interfaces of any trading software for macOS.
ProTA is aimed both at beginners and seasoned traders and among the many features are more than 100 indicators, line studies, smartlists, chart templates and trading systems.
You can even customize ProTA using something called ProTAscript which allows you to create your own customized screens, analytics and trading systems.
Like Mastock, ProTA uses Yahoo Finance to extract end of day financial data and continuously updates data automatically to make sure you’re making trading decisions based on the latest figures.
You can import your own Excel data, drill-down tickers to analyze market data and create your own rules for data tracking although you’ll need to read the 200 page ProTA user guide to get a grip on how ProTA’s own formula based programming language works. A lot of thought has gone into both the design and features of ProTA and it’s a trading software that will definitely appeal to those that like their software fully tailored for macOS without skimping on power and features.
You can download a free trial of ProTA which is unlimited in use but is limited to a certain number of tickers.
You can unlock everything by upgrading to a full one year license for $99 or $299 for a four-year license.
StockMarketEye is an impressive stock portfolio tracking tool that uses dynamic price charts to help you gain a better perspective on market movements.
Note that StockMarketEye is not designed for day traders because it does not provide real-time integrated trading but it’s certainly an excellent tool for getting a holistic overview of the market and then using other software to actually trade with.
StockMarketEye is cross-platform so it has a Mac, iOS, PC and Linux desktop client and like most good trading apps, StockMarketEye supports visualization in Line Charts, Mountain Charts, Candlestick Charts and OHLC Charts.
You can choose EOD (End-of-Date) charts for a longer term perspective or 1 & 5 day intra-day charts for a shorter term perspective.
StockMarketEye is one of the only desktop forex trading tools for Mac as it supports tracking of stocks, ETFs and mutual funds on all of the world’s major exchanges.
The interface looks a bit dated on Mac nowadays but its uncluttered and generally very easy to use with a simple and clear user guide.
There are also instructions how to import portfolios from different brokerages such as Etrade, Vanguard and several others.
You can receive alerts for stock and portfolio tracking, can connect to your bank account and is also integrated with the iPad and iPhone version of StockMarketEye.
For small time traders, StockMarketEye is an excellent and easy to use tracking and technical analysis application.
StockMarketEye used to be available from the Mac App Store but now you must buy StockMarketEye from the developer for $99.95.
There’s a 30 day money back guarantee and the price includes minor updates.
You can also try a 30 day free trial of StockMarketEye.
Latinum is a professional trading and technical analysis software for Mac and PC.
If you’re going to be trading Stocks, Cryptocurrencies Forex and CFDs (Contract for Difference) then Latinum is a good choice as it supports streaming quotes for Forex and CFDs.
It also supports stocks although there’s a slightly cheaper version called Latinum Stocks ($64.99) if that’s all you want to analyze.
Latinum is designed for discretionary (non-automated) traders and quickly enables you to determine risk, make orders quickly via a Mini Order Ticket feature and more easily manage order and positions with a Mini Blotter.
You can even trade Forex on Latinum by linking it to FXCM Trading Station and Marketscope broker accounts although unfortunately it no longer supports OANDA for stock trading.
Latinum also has a trading simulator which you can practice paper trades on.
You can try the free demo of Latinum but to unlock all features, the full version is $99.99.
How To Run Windows Stock Trading Software On Mac
If none of the apps reviewed here meet your trading needs and you want to run a popular PC or Windows-based software NinjaTrader or X-TRADER on your Mac, you can run Windows 10 for free on a Mac.
This isn’t an ideal solution because it’s very demanding on your Mac’s RAM and it involves the extra cost of buying virtualization software. But if you can’t live without your Windows trading software, it’s the best solution.
You can read more about how to use virtualization software to run NinjaTrader on Mac here.