If you’re trying to install Windows 10 for free on your Mac, you’ll need to download a Windows ISO image.
A Windows ISO image is a downloaded version of the operating system that you can use to install it on other machines via a USB flash drive or DVD.
Microsoft has finally standardized the process for this making it very easy to download an ISO for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 from the Microsoft Software Recovery site.
For Windows 10, you don’t even need to have a license key to use it although if you do have one, entering it will allow you to customize Windows 10 and remove a watermark at the bottom of the screen.
If you need to download a Windows ISO for Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you’ll need a license key though.
What You’ll Need To Install Windows 10 on a Mac For Fee
Here’s what you’ll need to make sure you have before you can install Windows 10 on your Mac:
- You’ll need 64GB or more free storage space on your Mac startup disk. This is the bare minimum you’ll need but we strongly recommend at least 128GB of free storage space as automatic Windows updates will quickly eat up that space.
- iMac Pros or Mac Pros with 128GB of memory (RAM) or more will require at least as much free hard drive storage space as your Mac has memory.
- A USB flash drive with at least 5GB space. You’ll need this to put the ISO image on so that your Mac can install Windows. However, if you have any of the following models of Mac running macOS El Capitan 10.11 or later, you don’t need an external device at all because your Mac can use the internal drive to temporarily store what you need to install Windows.
- MacBook Pro (2015 and later)
- MacBook Air (2015 and later)
- MacBook (2015 and later)
- iMac (2015 and later)
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
How To Download Windows 10 For Free on a Mac
If you’ve got all this, then you’re ready to go. Here’s how to install Windows 10 for free on your Mac.
- Go to the Windows 10 ISO Disc Image download site where you can download a 64-bit version of Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 Pro. Be careful to select the full version of Windows not an update.
- Select the language that you want Windows 10 to be in.
- Select the 62 bit version of Windows 10 to download.
- You can then download Windows 10 onto your hard drive.
When you’ve done this, just follow these instructions to install Windows 10 on your Mac for free with Boot Camp.
How To Download A Windows 7 or 8.1 ISO On a Mac
You will need to have already purchased a copy of Windows 7 or 8.1 before you can do this and have the Windows Product Key ready.
If you purchased Windows online, you should receive the Product Key immediately via email so you don’t have to wait to for it to physically arrive in the post before you can do this.
1. Go to Microsoft Software Recovery.
2. Make sure you have at least 3.5GB of space available on your hard drive or connect a USB Pen Drive to your Mac.
3. Enter the Windows Product Key. This is either inside the DVD box that you purchased Windows in and also in the confirmation email that Windows sent you when you purchased Windows.
4. Select the language of your version of Windows.
5. Finally, click “Verify Product Key” at the bottom of the page.
You’ll then be given a download link for the Windows ISO. Alternatively, you can also choose to have the ISO sent to you via email. You can then either use the ISO to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp.