If you’re trying to install Windows on Mac without a CD/DVD drive, you’ll need to download a Windows ISO image. Microsoft has finally standardized the process for this making it very easy to download an ISO for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Previously, you had to download Windows ISOs unofficially via Digital River but you can now download them directly via Microsoft’s new Microsoft Software Recovery site. You will need to have already purchased a copy of Windows of course because Microsoft Software Recovery requests your Windows Product Key before you can download the ISO.
The process for downloading a Windows ISO is the same whether you need an ISO to use for installing Windows on your Mac or if you just want to repair a version of Windows on a PC by creating a Windows DVD or a bootable USB version of Windows.
How To Download A Windows ISO For Mac
You will need to have already purchased a copy of Windows before you can do this and have the Windows Product Key ready. If you purchase Windows online, you should receive the Product Key immediately via email so you don’t have to wait to for it to physically arrive in the post before you can do this.
1. Go to Microsoft Software Recovery.
2. Make sure you have at least 3.5GB of space available on your hard drive or connect a USB Pen Drive to your Mac.
3. Enter the Windows Product Key. This is either inside the DVD box that you purchased Windows in and also in the confirmation email that Windows sent you when you purchased Windows.
4. Select the language of your version of Windows.
5. Finally, click “Verify Product Key” at the bottom of the page.
You’ll then be given a download link for the Windows ISO. Alternatively, you can also choose to have the ISO sent to you via email. You can then either use the ISO to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp.
Or you can also use the ISO to install Windows using Parallels if you want too.
If you have any problems or questions with downloading the Windows 7 ISO image on your Mac, let us know in the comments below.