If you’ve recently switched to Mac you might have realized that there’s no Microsoft Money for Mac but with a little time and effort, you can still install MS Money on Mac for free using Wineskin. Be aware however that this can be a bit complicated for most general general users and we strongly recommend taking a look at some of the excellent Microsoft Money alternatives for Mac such as Personal Capital instead. Although Wineskin enables you to run PC applications on Mac, it does require some technical knowledge and won’t offer all the functionality of Microsoft Money on Windows. This tutorial to install MS Money on Mac works for all versions of OS X and macOS including Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion, Lion and Snow Leopard.
Personal Capital As An Alternative To MS Money On Mac
Although Microsoft Money has never been released for Mac, we strongly recommend living without it on OS X. There are plenty of very good alternatives that do a better job of managing your money anyway in our opinion. For example, as solid alternative to Microsoft Money on Mac which not only manages money but actually optimizes your investments, Personal Capital is both free and really effective. You can read more about Personal Capital along with a roundup of the best personal finance software for Mac here.
If you definitely want to try and run Microsoft Money on Mac though, read on.
How To Install Microsoft Money On Mac
Important Note: Microsoft replaced Microsoft Money in 2010 with a free version – Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe – meaning it’s totally free to use and install on your Mac. Depending on the specific setup of your Mac and the way Wineskin works, installing Microsoft Money on Mac using Wine does not work for everyone.
Here’s how to install Microsoft Money on Mac.
- Download both Wineskin Winery and Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe. Note that if you intend on opening UK Microsoft Money files you need to download the UK version of Money 2005 because Deluxe only works with US files.
- Open Wineskin and click on the “+” symbol to add an engine.
- You will see various engines to choose from. You can choose the latest version which at the time of writing was WS9Wine 1.5.23 with Wrapper version 2.5.8. Click Download and Install.
- The Wine engine will then take less than a minute to download and install and you’ll see it in your engine list. Make sure it is selected and click Create Blank Wrapper at the bottom.
- Call the Wrapper “MSMoney” and click OK. Note that there should be NO SPACE in the name of the wrapper (ignore the example below – you should make the name either one word or add a hyphen in between Microsoft and Money).
- You’ll then see a prompt from the Wine Mono Installer to install a Mono package. Click Install.If you then see another prompt to install the Wine Gecko Installer, you can ignore it and click Cancel as Microsoft Money does not need HTML embed support.
- You should then see a message saying that the Microsoft Money Wrapper Creation is complete. Click on “View wrapper in Finder” and it will take you to where the Microsoft Money wrapper is installed which is in the Wineskin folder in Applications.
- Quit the Wineskin Winery App. Then double click on the Microsoft Money Wineskin icon that was created and the Microsoft Money Wineskin installer will launch. Click on Install Software. Click “Choose Setup Executable” and browse to the EXE file you downloaded in Step 1. After browsing to the file and clicking “Choose”, the Money Setup process will start.
- The Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe windows installer will then launch. You’ll see a prompt to install more operating system components. Just click on OK to install them.
- Within a few seconds, Microsoft Money Plus will launch and the program icon will appear in your Dock. Click “I Accept” to the license terms.
- A few seconds later you’ll see an “installation complete” message and a prompt to click “Finish” to open Money Plus.
- When finished you’ll see a “Choose Executable” window – use the drop-down list to choose the line ending with “msmoney.exe” and click OK.
- You then need to go back to Wineskin and configure some screen settings. Go to the Wineskin menu and Click on Set Screen Options and deselect the option “Decorate Windows” and click Done.
- You’ll then see the Wineskin menu again. This is where things get a little more tricky so make sure you follow these instructions closely. Click on Advanced and the select the Tools tab at the top. Click on “Winetricks”.
- In the search box that appears, search for “msxml3”. Click on the “dlls” to reveal the MS Core Services 3.0 component and select it and click “Run”.
- A download page at download.cnet.com will automatically open for you to download the missing msxml3 file. Don’t worry – this is not trying to install malware on your Mac. You need this Windows component to run MS Money on Mac. In the bottom of the Winetricks screen, you’ll also see a message saying you must install the msmxml3 file in the location: /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Caches/winetricks/msxml3. This is exactly what you must do – move the downloaded msxml3 to the above location.
- To find the folder, make sure that Finder is selected (the Mac face in the bottom left corner of your Dock), go to the top of the screen and select “Go” from the menu bar and select “Go to folder”.
- In the dialogue box that appears, type “~/.cache” and click Go.
- In the folder that appears, you’ll see a folder called “wine”. You need to create another folder called “winetricks” so just hold down Ctrl and click and select “New Folder” and call it “winetricks”. Within that folder, you need to create another folder called “msxml3”. In the folder, you must place the msxml3.msi file you downloaded earlier.
- You then need to install Internet Explorer. If you need to add more than one account to MS Money, we strongly recommend downloading Internet Explorer 7 but you can also use Internet Explorer 6 but you won’t be able to add new accounts. Download IE6 from here: http://download.oldapps.com/Internet_Explorer/ie60.exe. and IE7 from here: http://www.oldapps.com/internet_explorer.php?app=3f3e6315efda6316ae04640516d060ed
- Do not worry if you see a Reported Unwanted Software Page warning – just click “Ignore this warning” in the bottom right corner and the file will download.
- Rename the file to “msie60.exe”for IE6 or “msie70.exe” for IE7 just as you did for the msxml3.msi file, create a folder for it in the winetricks folder called “msie60” for IE6 or “msie70” for IE7 and drag the msie60.exe or msie70 file into it. That’s the trickiest bit done.
And that’s it! You can now enjoy Microsoft Money Plus on your Mac. It seems the Portfolio Manager doesn’t work properly and you may find other minor glitches and bugs but generally it runs just as well as on Windows.
MyMoney: An Alternative To Microsoft Money
If you’re not familiar with Wineskin and don’t have the time to mess around trying to get it to work properly, you may save yourself a lot of time and hassle by installing MyMoney from the Mac App Store which is an alternative to Microsoft Money for Mac and can import Microsoft Money files. MyMoney can import Microsoft Money files (and even Quicken for Mac files) and has the most MS Money like interface we’ve found on Mac.
MyMoney can also download transactions from your bank website and makes it easier to perform book-keeping, reconcile bank statements, file taxes etc. You can also export accounts to Excel and PDF format and if you don’t want the hassle of going through this tutorial, it’s definitely worth trying as a quicker and easy solution than trying to install Money on Mac.
As stated in the introduction, Using Wine can throw-up many glitches and problems depending on the specific setup of your Mac and version of Wine you are using. However, sometimes the problems simply can’t be solved by us at distance and in those cases, we definitely recommend trying an alternative such as Personal Capital. It’s a far more effective financial management software for Mac than MS Money and it advises you exactly how to change your investment and money management in order to make greater returns.
If only Microsoft Money will do for you however, then check out our guide on how to run Microsoft 10 on Mac for free which will allow you to install Windows 10 on your Mac more easily than using Wineskin. Windows 10 no longer requires activation by Microsoft so you can use it for free without having to buy a product key.
If you’ve found this tutorial on how to get Microsoft Money for Mac useful, you may also be interested to read our guide to Quicken Alternatives For Mac which covers the best personal finance software for Mac users. If you need accounting software, don’t miss our look at the Best Accounting Software For Mac too. Finally, if you’re considering using Quicken on Mac, don’t forget to read our Quicken 2017 for Mac review as there are a few drawbacks to be aware of.
If this Microsoft Money for Mac tutorial hasn’t worked for you, or you’re still having problems getting it working, let us know in the comments below and we’ll try to help.