Although there’s no Netflix app for Mac, you can still watch Netflix offline on a Mac or download Netflix videos with a few workarounds.
There are also ways to record Netflix shows and films in macOS although we don’t recommend this as we’ll explain.
Note that if you want to watch Netflix offline in another country other than the one you are in, you will need a VPN to get around the regional blocking restrictions.
Using NordVPN can even speed up your internet connection to prevent buffering on Netflix as it re-routes traffic around Internet Service Providers (ISPs) that throttle your bandwidth when streaming.
You May Also Like:
Can You Download Netflix on a Mac?
It’s important to be aware that there is no official Netflix for Mac app and any sites that claim you can download Netflix on a Mac are either scams or could install malware on your Mac.
Netflix has never made an official app for macOS so there’s no official way to download Netflix content on a Mac or watch it offline.
For a while, there were some unofficial Netflix movie viewing apps on the Mac App Store but Apple has now removed them due to stricter controls over apps that are just website wrappers.
There are however screen recorders which allow you to record Netflix on a Mac although these may violate the terms and conditions of Netflix and we don’t recommend using them.
However, Apple has made this “sideloading” of apps into macOS more difficult and companies like Netflix have moved to block it too making it increasingly complicated.
Can You AirPlay Netflix From iPhone or iPad To a Mac?
Unfortunately you can no longer use AirPlay to stream Netflix from an iOS device such as an iPhone, iPad or Apple TV to a Mac.
Netflix killed this feature in April 2019 saying “there isn’t a way for us to distinguish between devices” and as a result could not ensure that its “standard of quality for viewing is being met”.
Netflix has now made it clear on its website that “Airplay is no longer supported for use with Netflix”.
However, it’s possible that Netflix may change this after the release of iOS 15 and macOS Monterey which will allow iOS users to use AirPlay to stream content from iPads and iPhones to Macs built after 2018.
You May Also Like:
- How To Fix Netflix Streaming Problems on Mac
- How To Record Netflix on a Mac
- How To Watch Live TV on a Mac
- Amazon Prime Video App For Mac Released
Here then are the best ways to download and watch Netflix offline on a Mac in 2022.
Many Mac users are unaware that you can install Windows on a Mac. You can then use the official Netflix for Windows app to download and watch shows offline on a Mac.
This is a good solution if you want to watch Netflix on a Mac without WiFi as you can download shows and movies in Windows for offline viewing.
Parallels is a virtual machine which allows you to run macOS and Windows at the same time. Boot Camp allows you to install Windows in a partition on your Mac but you can only run macOS or Windows at one time.
Both methods allows you to install Windows 10 for free on a Mac and also enable you to run other Windows only software and games on your Mac.
Note that you must install Windows 10 to watch Netflix offline on a Mac – you can’t watch videos offline in Parallels on a Mac running Windows 11.
Note also that this method does not work on M1 Macs. Boot Camp does not work at all on the latest Apple Silicon M1 Macs although you can still install Windows on M1 Macs using Parallels.
However, for technical reasons you can’t watch Netflix offline using Parallels on M1 Macs because you’ll receive an error code U7354.
The latest Apple Silicon M1 and M2 chip Macs can also run iOS apps on macOS.
So if you have one of the latest M1 or M2 Macs, you can download and use the Netflix iOS app on your Mac.
The latest generation of iPads and iPhones use the same Apple Silicon chip that’s used in the latest Macs so most iOS apps run on the latest versions of macOS including Monterey and Big Sur.
However, some developers are increasingly choosing to block running iOS apps on M1/M2 Macs for various reasons, usually because of performance and commercial concerns.
Apple may also remove the option to run iOS apps on Apple Silicon Macs at any time so this method of running the Netflix iOS app on a Mac may not always be available.
To see if you can run Netflix for iPad or iPhone on a Mac just follow these instructions:
- Go to the Mac App Store
- In the App Store search field, search for “Netflix”
- Click on the “iPhone and iPad apps”
- Click on the download button or cloud icon to download it onto your Mac.
- Click Open to start using the Netflix app on your Mac.
If Netflix doesn’t appear when you search for it on your M1 Mac, then it’s because Netflix has blocked it from running on macOS.
There is however another way of “side loading” iOS apps into macOS using a third-party tool called iMazing although again, Apple can block this at any time.
However, sideloading iOS apps onto M1 Macs only works on macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 or earlier. It does not work with macOS 11.3 or later which includes Monterey as you will receive the error message “This application cannot be installed because the developer did not intend for it to run on this platform”.
So you must be running macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 or earlier to run iOS apps on an M1 Mac using iMazing.
Bear in mind that the Netflix iOS user interface is designed for touch screens rather than Macs so you’ll have to get used to using the Touchpad to use it.
You can find more instructions how to sideload Netflix onto macOS here.
A screen recorder allows you to record anything that’s playing on your screen including Netflix shows and movies.
To record Netflix on your Mac you can either use the free macOS screen recording tool in QuickTime Player (requires macOS Mojave or later) or use special screen recording software to record Netflix on Mac.
However, there are many reasons we strongly advise against using a screen recorder to download Netflix on your Mac:
- Screen recording is against Netflix terms and conditions and could result in your account being suspended.
- It’s also the least convenient way of downloading Netflix shows on a Mac because you have to play the entire show or movie while recording it meaning you can’t use your Mac to do anything else in the meantime.
- The audio and video quality of the recorded files will depend on your internet connection. If you have a bad WiFi connection or it is disrupted during recording, the quality will be very poor.
- Using a screen recorder to save Netflix videos on your Mac will result in poor video quality in many cases as a lot of frames will be skipped by whichever screen capture software you use.
- The recorded files are extremely large and take-up valuable space on your Mac hard drive. Unless you have an external hard drive or lots of space on your Mac, it’s really not worth it. We recommend checking how much storage space you have on your Mac first before saving large video files on your hard drive.
To record Netflix shows on your Mac for free you can use QuickTime to record your entire screen by selecting QuickTime Player from the Applications folder.
You then simply choose File > New Screen Recording from the menu bar.
To ensure that both video and audio is recorded, you must click on the record button, select Microphone > Internal Microphone.
You can click anywhere on the screen to start recording the entire screen or use the drag and selection tool to just select Netflix.
4. Connect An iPhone Or iPad To A Mac & Use QuickTime
Important Update: This method now only works for listening to Netflix audio offline. Netflix video streams can no longer be captured using QuickTime.
If you’ve already got an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, this method is by far the best way to download Netflix and watch shows offline on a Mac legally.
You can use the iOS app to download Netflix on your iPhone or iPad and then connect it your Mac to watch offline.
Follow these instructions to watch Netflix offline on a Mac:
- On your iOS device go to Settings > General > About and make sure you are running iOS 13 or higher.
- Open the Netflix app on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Tap on any show or film and look for the download icon in the description. Note that not all Netflix titles are available for download so if you can’t see it, you can’t download it.
- Download the shows or films you want to watch offline. You can download up to 100 titles at once.
- In the Netflix app, go to Downloads to see all the shows and films you have downloaded.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac via a Lightening cable or Lightening to USB cable.
- On your iOS device if prompted, click on “Trust Your Mac”.
- On your Mac open a Finder window, select your iPhone in the sidebar and if prompted select “Trust Your iPhone” or “Trust Your iPad”. You should then see your iPhone or iPad device in the Locations section.
- Open QuickTime Player on your Mac and select File > New Movie Recording.
- Click the Options pop-up menu and choose for Camera your connected iPhone or iPad.
- You should now be able to see your iPhone or iPad home screen where you can open the Netflix app.
- Go to Downloads in Netflix on your iOS device to start watching shows or films that you’ve downloaded on it on your Mac offline.