Although there’s no Netflix app for Mac, you can still watch Netflix offline on a Mac or download Netflix videos with a few workarounds.
There are also ways to record Netflix shows and films in macOS although we don’t recommend this as we’ll explain.
It’s important to be aware that there is no official Netflix for Mac app and any sites that claim you can download Netflix on a Mac are either scams or could install malware on your Mac.
Can You Download Netflix on a Mac?
Netflix has never made an official app for macOS so there’s no official way to download Netflix content on a Mac or watch it offline.
For a while, there were some unofficial Netflix movie viewing apps on the Mac App Store but Apple has now removed them due to stricter controls over apps that are just website wrappers.
If you’ve got an M1 Mac however, there is a way to use the Netflix iOS app on an M1 Mac.
As we will show you though, there are other ways to watch Netflix on a Mac offline and download Netflix shows and movies.
Can You AirPlay Netflix From iPhone or iPad To a Mac?
Unfortunately you can no longer use AirPlay to stream Netflix from an iOS device such as an iPhone, iPad or Apple TV to a Mac.
Netflix killed this feature in April 2019 saying “there isn’t a way for us to distinguish between devices” and as a result could not ensure that its “standard of quality for viewing is being met”.
Netflix has now made it clear on its website that “Airplay is no longer supported for use with Netflix”.
You May Also Like:
- How To Fix Netflix Streaming Problems on Mac
- How To Record Netflix on a Mac
- The Best TV Tuners For Mac To Watch Live TV
Here then are the best ways to download and watch Netflix offline on a Mac in 2021.
Many Mac users are unaware that you can install Windows on a Mac. You can then use the official Netflix for Windows app to download and watch shows offline on a Mac.
This is a good solution if you want to watch Netflix on a Mac without WiFi as you can download shows and movies in Windows for offline viewing.
Parallels is a virtual machine which allows you to run macOS and Windows at the same time. Boot Camp allows you to install Windows in a partition on your Mac but you can only run macOS or Windows at one time.
Both methods allows you to install Windows 10 for free on a Mac and also enable you to run other Windows only software and games on your Mac.
The latest M1 chip Macs can also run iOS apps on macOS.
So if you have one of the latest silicon M1 Macs, you can download and use the Netflix iOS app on your Mac.
The latest generation of iPads and iPhones use the same M1 chip that’s used in the latest Macs so most iOS apps run on macOS Big Sur or later.
Note that Apple may remove the option to run iOS apps on M1 Macs at any time so this method of running the Netflix iOS app on a Mac may not always be available.
To run Netflix for iPad or iPhone on a Mac just follow these instructions:
- Go to the Mac App Store
- In the App Store search field, search for “Netflix”
- Click on the “iPhone and iPad apps”
- Click on the download button or cloud icon to download it onto your Mac.
- Click Open to start using the Netflix app on your Mac.
Bear in mind that the Netflix iOS user interface is designed for touch screens rather than Macs so you’ll have to get used to using the Touchpad to use it.
A screen recorder allows you to record anything that’s playing on your screen including Netflix shows and movies.
To record Netflix on your Mac you can either use the free macOS screen recording tool in QuickTime Player (requires macOS Mojave or later) or use special screen recording software to record Netflix on Mac.
However, there are many reasons we strongly advise against using a screen recorder to download Netflix on your Mac:
- Screen recording is against Netflix terms and conditions and could result in your account being suspended.
- It’s also the least convenient way of downloading Netflix shows on a Mac because you have to play the entire show or movie while recording it meaning you can’t use your Mac to do anything else in the meantime.
- The audio and video quality of the recorded files will depend on your internet connection. If you have a bad WiFi connection or it is disrupted during recording, the quality will be very poor.
- Using a screen recorder to save Netflix videos on your Mac will result in poor video quality in many cases as a lot of frames will be skipped by whichever screen capture software you use.
- The recorded files are extremely large and take-up valuable space on your Mac hard drive. Unless you have an external hard drive or lots of space on your Mac, it’s really not worth it. We recommend checking how much storage space you have on your Mac first before saving large video files on your hard drive.
To record Netflix shows on your Mac for free you can use QuickTime to record your entire screen by selecting QuickTime Player from the Applications folder.
You then simply choose File > New Screen Recording from the menu bar.
To ensure that both video and audio is recorded, you must click on the record button, select Microphone > Internal Microphone.
You can click anywhere on the screen to start recording the entire screen or use the drag and selection tool to just select Netflix.
4. Connect An iPhone Or iPad To A Mac & Use QuickTime
Important Update: This method now only works for listening to Netflix audio offline. Netflix video streams can no longer be captured using QuickTime.
If you’ve already got an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, this method is by far the best way to download Netflix and watch shows offline on a Mac legally.
You can use the iOS app to download Netflix on your iPhone or iPad and then connect it your Mac to watch offline.
Follow these instructions to watch Netflix offline on a Mac:
- On your iOS device go to Settings > General > About and make sure you are running iOS 13 or higher.
- Open the Netflix app on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Tap on any show or film and look for the download icon in the description. Note that not all Netflix titles are available for download so if you can’t see it, you can’t download it.
- Download the shows or films you want to watch offline. You can download up to 100 titles at once.
- In the Netflix app, go to Downloads to see all the shows and films you have downloaded.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac via a Lightening cable or Lightening to USB cable.
- On your iOS device if prompted, click on “Trust Your Mac”.
- On your Mac open a Finder window, select your iPhone in the sidebar and if prompted select “Trust Your iPhone” or “Trust Your iPad”. You should then see your iPhone or iPad device in the Locations section.
- Open QuickTime Player on your Mac and select File > New Movie Recording.
- Click the Options pop-up menu and choose for Camera your connected iPhone or iPad.
- You should now be able to see your iPhone or iPad home screen where you can open the Netflix app.
- Go to Downloads in Netflix on your iOS device to start watching shows or films that you’ve downloaded on it on your Mac offline.