Although there’s no Netflix app for Mac, you can still watch Netflix offline on a Mac or download Netflix videos with a few workarounds.
There are also ways to record Netflix shows and films in macOS although we don’t recommend this as we’ll explain.
It’s important to be aware that there is no official Netflix for Mac app and any sites that claim you can download Netflix on a Mac are either scams or could install malware on your Mac.
Can You Download Netflix on a Mac?
Netflix has never made an official app for macOS so there’s no official way to download Netflix content on a Mac or watch it offline.
For a while, there were some unofficial Netflix movie viewing apps on the Mac App Store but Apple has now removed them due to stricter controls over apps that are just website wrappers.
As we will show you though, there are other ways to watch Netflix on a Mac offline and download Netflix shows and movies.
You May Also Like:
- How To Fix Netflix Streaming Problems on Mac
- How To Record Netflix on a Mac
- The Best TV Tuners For Mac To Watch Live TV
Here then are the best ways to download and watch Netflix offline on a Mac in 2021.
1. Stream Netflix Offline on a Mac via AirPlay
If you’ve already got an iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, this method is by far the best way to watch download Netflix and watch shows offline on a Mac legally.
AirPlay allows you to stream Netflix from your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch using the Netflix app for iOS. The great thing is you can download Netflix on iOS devices to watch offline which you can stream to your Mac.
Here’s how to watch Netflix offline on a Mac using AirPlay.
- On your iOS device go to Settings > General > About and make sure you are running iOS 13 or higher.
- Open the Netflix app on your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch.
- Tap on any show or film and look for the download icon in the description. Note that not all Netflix titles are available for download so if you can’t see it, you can’t download it.
- Download the shows or films you want to watch offline. You can download up to 100 titles at once.
- In the Netflix app, go to Downloads to see all the shows and films you have downloaded.
- Make sure both your iOS device and Mac are connected to the same WiFi network.
- Click on the AirPlay symbol in Netflix on your iOS device and select your Mac.
- Tap on Play to start streaming the downloaded Netflix title to your Mac offline.
This is the easiest and most 100% legal way to download Netflix and watch it offline on a Mac.
Many Mac users are unaware that you can install Windows on a Mac. You can then use the official Netflix for Windows app to download and watch shows offline on a Mac.
This is a good solution if you want to watch Netflix on a Mac without WiFi as you can download shows and movies in Windows for offline viewing.
Parallels is a virtual machine which allows you to run macOS and Windows at the same time. Boot Camp allows you to install Windows in a partition on your Mac but you can only run macOS or Windows at one time.
Both methods allows you to install Windows 10 for free on a Mac and also enable you to run other Windows only software and games on your Mac.
The latest M1 chip Macs can also run iOS apps on macOS.
So if you have one of the latest silicon M1 Macs, you can download and use the Netflix iOS app on your Mac.
The latest generation of iPads and iPhones use the same M1 chip that’s used in the latest Macs so most iOS apps run on macOS Big Sur or later.
To run Netflix for iPad or iPhone on a Mac just follow these instructions:
- Go to the Mac App Store
- In the App Store search field, search for “Netflix”
- Click on the “iPhone and iPad apps”
- Click on the download button or cloud icon to download it onto your Mac.
- Click Open to start using the Netflix app on your Mac.
Bear in mind that the Netflix iOS user interface is designed for touch screens rather than Macs so you’ll have to get used to using the Touchpad to use it.
A screen recorder allows you to record anything that’s playing on your screen including Netflix shows and movies.
To record Netflix on your Mac you can either use the free macOS screen recording tool in QuickTime Player (requires macOS Mojave or later) or use special screen recording software to record Netflix on Mac.
However, there are many reasons we strongly advise against using a screen recorder to download Netflix on your Mac:
- Screen recording is against Netflix terms and conditions and could result in your account being suspended.
- It’s also the least convenient way of downloading Netflix shows on a Mac because you have to play the entire show or movie while recording it meaning you can’t use your Mac to do anything else in the meantime.
- The audio and video quality of the recorded files will depend on your internet connection. If you have a bad WiFi connection or it is disrupted during recording, the quality will be very poor.
- Using a screen recorder to save Netflix videos on your Mac will result in poor video quality in many cases as a lot of frames will be skipped by whichever screen capture software you use.
- The recorded files are extremely large and take-up valuable space on your Mac hard drive. Unless you have an external hard drive or lots of space on your Mac, it’s really not worth it. We recommend checking how much storage space you have on your Mac first before saving large video files on your hard drive.
To record Netflix shows on your Mac for free you can use QuickTime to record your entire screen by selecting QuickTime Player from the Applications folder.
You then simply choose File > New Screen Recording from the menu bar.
To ensure that both video and audio is recorded, you must click on the record button, select Microphone > Internal Microphone.
You can click anywhere on the screen to start recording the entire screen or use the drag and selection tool to just select Netflix.